Wednesday, June 19, 2019

I've posted before on this subject - adult piano students

So when I think of the word spectrum, I often think of an adult piano student.    One definition of spectrum is a noun used to classify something, or suggest that it can be classified.  In my work as an adoption attorney, I have had adopted children who "fall" somewhere on the autism spectrum, again, a way to classify the development condition that affects the ability to communicate and interact.  So can the adult piano student be classified?  I believe the answer is yes.

As an adult piano student, how do I see myself and others pursuing their piano dreams?  I will start with others.  Often when I chat with friends or family about adult piano lessons, I receive a myriad of responses.  Some tell me they want to learn just enough piano, to play Christmas carols with their grandchildren.  One of my former hair dressers, only wanted to learn and play Debussy's Clair de Lune proficiently.  Others have told me they want to go as far as they can go, with the time they have left on this wonderful planet.

So, how do I see myself.?  My dreams about the piano, and playing it have changed over the years.  When I was a young girl, I dreamed of playing ragtime piano like Jo Ann Castle  on the Lawrence Welk show.  As I got into my lessons, (starting at 6 years of age), I wanted to play like my teachers, and some of the more advance students that had lessons before or after me.

When I attended Albion College for one year in 1973-74, I wanted to play like Edward Rosser, who had the lesson before me.  He is an incredible pianist, and I have blogged about him and his amazing piano story in this blog.  I came to the conclusion in college, that I didn't think I had the ability to teach piano or teach music, so I started to look at my next set of dreams, a career in the law, or even as a department store buyer.

But even with my life heading down another path, I always held on to the dream of being a respectable and capable pianist, meaning I could entertain myself, family and friends, and I could pass on my love of the instrument to the children I dreamed of having some day.

When ever I went to a concert of  a pianist I loved, I still dreamed, that I could play this piece or that piece with proficiency and great conviction.  So I started to list my favorite pianists, Emanuel Ax, Kathryn Stott, Jean - Yves Thibaudet, Jon Nakamatsu, Aaron Diehl, Bobby Short, Herbie Hancock, Dave Brubeck, and wondered if I could play one of their concert selections.  All of these pianists and many more reinforced my dream of playing respectably and capably.

So where am I today?  Well, first, I realize that I can't play all of the repertoire that I want to play today.  And, I have come to terms with the fact that I am not the pianist I was at 17 years old, when I was practicing 1-2 hours a day, and had all the time in the world to work on a difficult measure of music, or stage a piano recital performance in my living room.  Back in my later teens, I didn't have a job or children, or real responsibilities on the home front.  I may have had a chore or two, but honestly, if I was playing the piano before or after dinner, my mom often set the table or did the dishes....because I was playing her favorite instrument.

But as an adult piano student today, I can play better than I did yesterday.  I can work on my challenges, rhythm, correct fingering, pedaling and dynamics.  I can re examine a piece I learned to play years ago, and maybe even learn something new.  I can receive a challenge from my teacher, accept the challenge, and maybe even surprise that teacher by listening to her ideas about a particular piece and implementing those ideas.

I can also take my piano skills and give music to others.  Whether it is as a pinch hit pianist at my church, or playing in the lobby of our local cancer hospital, I can share this amazing instrument with my friends, family and even strangers.  Perhaps the difference I will make is that I will sooth someone's soul, or trigger a memory they had about a song or melody they heard years ago.  And most importantly, a listener may conclude ....."hey I want to start taking lessons again, and change my life and the lives of others I love."

In the Summer 2019 issue of The Piano Magazine for Clavier Companion Barbara Kreader Skalinder has written a beautiful essay entitled What My Adult Students Have Taught Me.  The three subtopics of the essay are 1.  Honor My Interests, 2.  Help Me Learn the Music I love and 3. Teach Me to Trust Myself.  These three concepts are explained with great references to some of the adult students she has taught and that she is currently teaching.  I came away from the essay realizing that I could see a small part of me in each of the three subtopics.

To honor your interests as a student, your teacher needs to know what your interests are.  So, as a student you must be bold and speak up.  Tell your teacher you want to perform, or play at church, or even  teach a neighbor or friend.  Tell your teacher the composers that you really love.  Perhaps there is a piece by that composer that is at your level, and you can in fact master that piece.  And as a student, you again need to be bold, and tell your teacher, what your challenges were in your practicing week, and what you tried musically to get the proficient result you want.

The adult piano student is in fact brave, courageous and bold.  As and adult student you are taking on new challenges, and learning that you can make a difference in your piano lesson journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment