Thursday, January 11, 2018

Jon Nakamatsu

Columbus, Ohio is known for its infamous Big Ten football team, The Buckeyes of The Ohio State University.  Yet outside Columbus, many do not realize that my adopted city is home to a thriving arts scene.  Discriminating customers of the arts, will find that Columbus is home to several incredible chamber music organizations.  In the past few years, I have attended Chamber Music Columbus concerts, in the acoustically perfect, Great Southern Theater.

I had the good fortune on December 16, 2017 to attend a concert of the Escher String Quartet with pianist Jon Nakamatsu.  I am a fan of chamber music, but I add that I am definitely a fan of Jon Nakamatsu.  When I think of my favorite pianists, I think of this quintet, Emmanuel Ax, Angela Hewitt, Kathryn Stott, Jon Nakamatsu, and Jean Yves Thibaudet.  So when I saw that Jon was coming to Columbus, I simply had to attend.  If nothing else, the concert would be a glorious way to celebrate Beethoven's birthday.

The concert was amazing.  The Escher Quartet started off the program with Mozart's Quartet in B-flat major, K. 458 otherwise known as "The Hunt."  Mozart continues to be my absolute favorite classical composer, and the chamber music he composed is beautiful.  There was another work by Thomas Ades, called Arcadiana.  It was very modern but like eating grand cuisine, I am willing to try anything

Then the Escher String Quartet, performed Erno Dohnanyi's Quintet in C minor, with Jon at the grand piano. Escher takes its name from Dutch graphic artist M. C. Escher, inspired by Escher's method of interplay between individual components working together to form a whole.  I love this description, so apt in terms of chamber music!

Dohnanyi was a Hungarian composer, and this was the first time I had the opportunity to listen to this beautiful chamber music work.  I had forgotten what attention to detail is necessary to perform such a beautiful chamber music set with five movements.  All in all, it was an incredible evening of exciting chamber music.  Sometimes I hear friends say that classical music is boring.  Well, then you might find your musical place at a chamber music concert.  There is always something knew to listen to and learn about.  You also get to see firsthand, the commitment that chamber musicians make to each other and the audience.  I do not have a disc of the Escher, but I plan to get one very soon.

What a country, to hear such incredible musicians, including one of my top favorite pianists Jon Nakamatsu, in our incredible Southern Theater.  I am very blessed indeed.

As luck would have it, I am friends with Charlie Warner, who is a labor and employment attorney with the law firm of Porter Wright.  Charlie is a consummate arts aficionado, and he extended an invitation to my husband Mark and me, to attend an after concert reception, where we could meet Jon.

As an amateur pianist, meeting Jon Nakamatsu was just another fine example of "dying and going to heaven."  As a Gold Medal Winner of the 10th Van Cliburn International Piano Competition, I purchased his Chopin cd, that included Impromptus, the Fantaisie-Impromptu, Mazurkas and Polonaises.  The cd is still one of my favorites, and a "go to" when ever I want to be inspired by beautiful playing.

Getting a chance to meet with Jon was a dream come true.  He was incredibly kind and gracious, and I hope he returns to Columbus very soon.  His playing was truly wonderful, and it was simply an honor to be in attendance.  And one of his classmates from Stanford showed up at the after concert reception, so it is good to know that folks are following his exciting career as a concert pianist.

I add that Jon was happy to chat with his fans.  I guess what I find so appealing about Jon, was the fact that he was a high school German teacher, before winning the Cliburn.  And with his concertizing he is changing up classical music in an inspirational and positive way.

Jon is also the Artistic Director of the Cape Cod Chamber Music Festival.  I hope to get there, since it is on my musical bucket list.  He also had the same piano teacher, Marina Derryberry for most of his life.  There is something so admirable about great loyalty.  He also studied with Karl Schnabel, which enhances his already impressive resume.

I believe the Great Southern Theatre, lives up to his concertizing expectations, because it is in fact the second time I have heard Jon play in this venue.

I have lived in Columbus for over 30 years, and I never give up, on the citizens of this city and their commitment to the arts.  To have a piano gem like Jon Nakamatsu performing in our fair city, is such a gift.  I hope he will continue to introduce us to new and exciting chamber music works.  The piano never ceases to amaze me.

No comments:

Post a Comment