Monday, November 21, 2016

Abhik!

I have used the expression "what a gift" in this blog before, but this time I am referring to Abhik Mazumder.    Abhik is a student of Dr. Suzanne Newcomb.  In my years of observing piano teachers, most teachers have a student or students who "break out of the pack."  Abhik is that student for Suzanne.

Yesterday Abhik presented a beautiful piano recital through the Music Series at St. John's Episcopal Church in Worthington, Ohio. Abhik is only 15 years old, but he played with superb technique and musicality beyond his years.  Abhik began taking piano lessons at age 4,  and was the 2013 Ohio Music Teachers Association piano competition winner.

He has also gone beyond his interest in classical piano, and began his jazz education under the late performer and educator Mark Flugge.  He joined the Columbus Youth Jazz Orchestra in 2015, and played at Lincoln Center this past summer.

I had the opportunity to hear Abhik perform at the Columbus Jazz Orchestra/Columbus Youth Jazz Orchestra concert at the Lincoln Theatre here in Columbus.  This concert featured the amazing jazz pianist Aaron Diehl, and Aaron has connected with Abhik.  Abhik has also won the Jazz Arts Group Hank Marr High School Jazz Award.

I can only add, after hearing Abhik perform yesterday, he could be on his way to an incredible career as a pianist, including classical music and jazz.


Abhik started the recital with the concert etude by Franz Liszt "un sospiro."  It was absolutely beautiful, and the work displayed Abhik's amazing technique.  I know from limited playing where I am crossing my left hand over my right hand, that it is challenging.  Abhik's agility over the key board, is simply so incredible.

I love Claude Debussy and Abhik did not disappoint his audience with the beautiful La soiree dans Grenade.  Beautiful chords, and a moving impressionist work, which I had not heard before.  I played Clair de Lune for my 10th grade piano recital, and Abhik simply did an incredible performance of that familiar work as well.

Abhik ended the first half of the recital with "Ocean" an Etude by Chopin.  It truly brought the sounds of the ocean to life.  Abhik's playing brought out the majesty of this work.

I have blogged about jazz piano, and Abhik's second half of his recital was worth the wait.  He started with Blue Monk  by Thelonious Monk, and did such an incredible job of adding a dimension of excitement to such a familiar piece.

Abhik played one of my all time favorite songs of all time Jerome Kern's All the Things You Are.  For a person of such young years, he was able to capture the timeless melody, and it made me think of the endearing lyrics and the unending message of love that the song conveys.

Abhik honored the late Mark Flugge, a brilliant pianist, gone too soon with February's Promise,  And he played Spain by Chick Corea, another wonderful selection.  By this time, I felt like I was in heaven, Abhik, is in fact, that good.

In 1969 I was 14 and starting high school, when Paul Simon composed Bridge over Troubled Water.  I played it often, and I think the song is quite applicable to the political climate in the country.  Abhik did a moving performance of a timeless classic.  It was a meaningful ending to a wonderful afternoon of music.

Since Abhik's teacher, Dr. Suzanne Newcomb loves Brahms, Abhik came back for a beautiful Brahms etude to end the recital.  I can only repeat what I blogged at the beginning, Abhik, what a gift!!

Where ever his music takes, him, Abhik's journey is going to be an interesting one.  It was comforting to see his parents in the choir loft balcony recording his performance.  They must have been so proud. It brought back so many happy memories, of my parents in place for my recitals.  For it is the parents who bring their child or children to the music.

It was an honor to share in Abhik's musical adventure, and I know he will be making his mark in the Central Ohio arts community and beyond



No comments:

Post a Comment