Friday, November 20, 2015

Yo-Yo Ma and Kathryn Stott

I had the amazing good fortune of hearing Yo-Yo Ma and Kathryn Stott in concert Wednesday evening November 18th, 2015 at the Palladium in Indianapolis, IN.  The Palladium is an amazing concert venue, with near perfect acoustics.  I learned from review of my program that the great pianist, Michael Feinstein is the Palladium's artistic director.  Indianapolis is quite fortunate to have such an amazing concert hall.  Truly a work of art!!

So what can I say about Yo-Yo Ma and Kathryn Stott?  Well quite simply the concert was wonderful. Their concert tour culminates 30 years of playing together, and their partnership is as strong as ever.  It was an honor to be in attendance, and frankly it was a present from my husband, celebrating my 60th birthday on December 1.

This is the fifth time I have seen Yo-Yo Ma.  I never tire of his artistry.  He "gives it up" for the crowd, and always amazes me.  I continue to think about how he plays.  In the midst of any piece he enters an almost trance like state, where he is simply one with his instrument.  Yo-Yo Ma is fully present, or so it seems from an amateur audience member.  I can always count on Mr. Ma to inspire, and to change how I view music, every time I go to his concert.

His partner ship with Kathryn Stott is so wonderful.  You can sense their friendship, and the loyal support they give to each other while concertizing.  I love the fact that they have never given up on each other or their friendship, through all of the peaks and valleys of life.

Kathryn Stott ( who I have blogged about previously) is also one with her instrument.  She is playing the piano, but in a performance she is in fact the piano.  She plays with such conviction, and her dynamics are amazing.  Her interpretation of the selections was so beautiful.  Again, it was simply an honor to be there.

Yo - Yo Ma who was born in Paris began the concert with Faure's After a Dream was a tribute to the recent victims of the Paris massacre.  Then Mr. Ma and Ms. Stott played a suite of songs from their Arc of Life CD, including the Bach and the Schubert Ave Marias.

They also performed Shostakovich's Sonata in D minor and Franck's Sonata in A major.

They were both so beautifully performed.  Time at a concert like this truly stands still  It is still amazing to watch how Yo-Yo Ma uses his bow, completely masterful.

All in all, it was an incredible evening of music.  The synergy of a great musical partnership like Yo-Yo Ma and Kathryn Stott is something every music lover should witness.  For just a few short hours, you are transported away from the busy-ness of your week, to a place where you can find peace, and you can collect your thoughts about what is truly good in this world.

Music, so powerful and so able to change hearts and minds.  Just as I am turning 60, Yo - Yo Ma turned 60 last October 7.  I hope he can continue to make a difference through his performances and CDs, and bring his message of the power of music to everyone.  So privileged to attend his concerts.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Rose, What can I say, except Yo - Yo Ma should invite you back stage at his next concert. I'll talk to his agent when he comes to Minnesota and make sure he gives you a pass! This isn't like "Rock Star" Steel Dragons groupie stuff but maybe he will let you touch his cello. I can tell that you are a great lawyer by the way your words just flow and go on and on. Jim, Yo Bro

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I have met him. He performed in Columbus about 15 years ago, and Mark's law firm had a reception for him. He is very personable, and very kind to his fans. It was cool. The amazing thing about Yo-Yo Ma is that he is an incredible cross over artist, performed on Sesame Street, with Bobby McFerrin, has performed with several country artists...and look up his Silk Road project...where he performs with a variety of asian musicians on ancient asian instruments. Again, he is very kind to his fans. As to the lawyering thing, I return phone calls, find babies for folks who cannot have them, and help people probate their estates...it's not Learned Hand stuff, more like Atticus Finch. I believe Mr. Cunningham, paid him with a bushel of potatoes. R

    ReplyDelete