Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Jule Styne

I made the grand assumption that Jule Styne composed the music for "I'm Flying" for Peter Pan, in part because he composed "Never Never Land."  Well I was wrong.  "I'm Flying was composed by Mark Charlap and the Lyrics were by Carolyn Leigh.

I have a wonderful book of Peter Pan music, that was published by the Edwin H. Morris and Company and distributed by Hal-Leonard.  The book has Mary Martin on the cover, so I would like to think that this book of music is close to the original score.  Mary Martin and I share a birthday December 1, so I have always had an affinity for her musicality, her singing, in a traditional Broadway style.

So what is it about "I'm Flying"  Well it is in the key of B -Flat, which is a relatively easy key to sight-read.  Also, the piece buildings in momentum, as if you were flying while playing it.

In the words of an amateur, it is the kind of piece that "can get away from you."  So if you start off in a slow tempo, you probably shouldn't be finishing in a much faster tempo.  So, on some level, it is a good piece to work on controlling the metronome speed you originally set for yourself.

In contrast, there is the great Jule Styne piece "Never Never Land."  It is a beautiful ballad in the key of F and in 4/4 time cut.  It is a piece that if played as written, it sends a very clear message.  It is also a piece that many play in a manner different from what is written, and that may take away from the story the ballad is telling.  On page 2 of my version, in measure 6 there is a pause that should be emphasized...the lyric is "For once you have found your way there  PAUSE you can never, never grow old.  The pause must be emphasized, because the result is the concept of never growing old, although we all do.

There are also dotted eighth notes followed by a sixteenth, if that tempo is not clearly followed, the measures can sound rather sing -songy....referring to the words "Just think of lovely things, and your heart will fly on wings, ....etc"

I never tire of this ballad, I think it can set the tone for a calm and peaceful set of music, if you are playing after a dinner party.

The book is one I cannot part with, under any circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment