Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Today is Mozart's birthday!   This in itself is a reason to rejoice.  Whenever one thinks about classical music, Mozart's genius should come to mind. I also look at the challenge Mozart's compositions present to any pianist.  I remember learning Sonate 16 in C major during my high school years.  If you look it up and play the first few measures the tune is very familiar.  I had heard a recording of it, and I know I badgered my high school teacher Katherine Lemon, to let me study it.

That is part of the issue with Mozart.  One hears a beautiful melody, and in the pianist's mind he or she will say to his or herself, that it cannot possibly be that hard.  However, once you get to the true musical score, you realize you are DEAD WRONG!!

Hence, my journey with No. 17 Sonate in B flat major.  I remember when my then piano teacher, Dr. Suzanne Newcomb decided it was one I could study, looking at the music it did not seem too challenging.  Wrong first impression.  It was very challenging, from the rhythm, to the dynamics, to the musicianship needed to pull the work off.

Yet in studying number 17, I learned about the movements, the Exposition, the development, and the recapitulation.  I learned in a much different way, that it just cannot be about getting the notes right, it must be about developing the melody and creating something magical for your audience.

I spent an inordinate amount of time on this Sonata, which I think helped me rhythmically.  I am rhythmically challenged and I need a metronome most of the time.  Or alternatively, I must figure out a meter, and then count out loud to reach perfection.

I also failed to mention the Sonate Number 5 in G major.  I think I played this in high school, and it is another sonata, I simply love.  Because it is in G, there is only an F sharp to worry about, so I think it lends itself quite well to being a great Mozart composition to begin to study.  I also add that you have to watch your rhythm, because once you develop a level of competency with it, you feel the urge to rush the entire first movement.  It is a glorious work of 120 measures, and if you are studying it, I like to think of it as a Sonata that can "wow" the crowd.

I wish as a young pianist, I had worked through my rhythm issues, instead of jumping into a piece and playing notes the way I thought they should sound.  You just cannot do that with the great musicians.  They wrote it in a style and rhythm, and there thoughts and plans should not be distorted by the average piano playing fool.  These foregoing thoughts are particularly true of Mozart's sonatas

Beyond my thoughts about rhythm, in regard to Mozart, I still feel it is a privilege to attempt to play any of his music.  There is a such a lively aspect to his sonatas, and just imagining how and when he composed these works, makes me think that I should look at any attempt to play them with a great deal of gratitude.

When ever I put a CD in my player of Mozart music, I often thing, the melodies sound so clear, direct and something I can hum.  However, when I actually pull out the music and look at the composition, I then see, and understand the intricacies of what he was composing.  

In a dreary mid west winter, knowing that Mozart's birthday takes place on January 27th can make all the difference when you are trudging through the snow, and the wind is blowing your scarf over your face  Mozart brings to mind, a simple freedom, that you only find when listening to quality music.  His compositions can make a gray day beautiful, even if the sun isn't shining.

Just looking at my two Klaviersonaten books of Mozart renews my faith in life, love and this wonderful world!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment