Monday, September 15, 2014

Angela Hewitt

Angela Hewitt, a Canadian born pianist is one of my favorites.  Here is a youtube.com link to her comments about slow practice.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPv_5VHlHUs

Interestingly, slow practice goes hand and hand with patience.  That basically means that I don't like to do much of it.  When I was younger slow practice, to me, meant that something was wrong with me and wrong with my playing.  That was somewhat short sighted on my part.  Ms. Hewitt does comment that you should play a very fast piece slowly and also play a very slow piece quickly.  You can think of it as sort of being and exercise for your mind.

I guess (and I am no expert) but slow practice points out the flaws in the piece.  Going at a slower speed allows you to hear what you are doing wrong and to correct it.   AAAAARGH as Charlie Brown would say when Lucy pulled the football away from him.  I guess that gigantic sigh of relief also applies to slow practice.

Even though we have all heard of the benefits of slow practice, it always bears repeating.

No comments:

Post a Comment